Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Do the courts have a maximum amount of time to set a date for

Customer Question

Do the courts have a maximum amount of time to set a date for a court apperance for speeding
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

No.

The only time limits are that the NIP must be served within 14 days of the offence either in writing or verbally at the scene.

Also, the information must be laid before a Court within 6 months. When the court issues the summons is a non issue although usually it is a few days after the information was laid.

The date of the actual court hearing is not subject to time barring although obviously it would normally be only a few weeks after the information was laid.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received a NIP in September 2012 saying I was doing 80MPH on a 50MPH section of the M6/M42 Toll.Upon completion of the NIP is was advised that the case was being passed to the Magistrates court. Can you please advise what Fine/Disqualification/Points I can expect. I have held a clean License since 1977 with no oenality points.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank

Are you charged with speeding alone or also with failing to identify the driver? It will be on your summons sheet.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Are you ok?