Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Today I received Fixed Penalty Notice (endorsable offence)

Today I received Fixed Penalty Notice (endorsable offence) 60 pounds. I must to produce driving licence to police station within 7 days. If I pay penalty before arriving in police and will show the payment reference number (and Driving licence too) may be my licence will not be surrendered?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Is there any reason you want to avoid producing please? You are anonymous on here so its safe to be clear with me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I am ready to give you necessary info.

Why do you want to avoid producing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am going in business trip to abroad after 1.5 week and I need to have driving licence. It is very important for me.

I see your problem.

On your specific question, I'm afraid that paying the FPN does not mean you don't have to produce at the police station.

However, its really not an issue for the reasons that you think. In some constabularies they will not confiscate your licence. They will just make a note of the fact that you were driving lawfully and leave you to pay the fixed penalty.

There are some constabularies that do confiscate the licence if you say that you will pay the fixed penalty but they give you some documentation which becomes your driving licence effectively until your actual licence is returned.

Even if you do produce, you will not be without documents allowing you to drive for this trip.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So. You want to say that than I arrive at the Police station I will have conversation after that inspector make decision to confiscate or no? And second question is about temporary document instead of DL - it will be valid abroad?

You won't see the inspector if this is a normal HORT1. It will just be produced to civilian support staff at the counter.

Yes, the temporary document is valid abroad. Its not your licence that allows you to drive. You have a right to drive if you have completed the relevant tests that is stand alone. All the licence does is evidence it. The temporary documents do the same thing.

Obviously that will not be something they have seen abroad so you might have to explain but its a valid document.