Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was caught by a speed camera on the A3 where it is 3 lane

I was caught by a speed camera on the A3 where it is 3 lane dual carriage way where the speed limit drops to 50mph. I missed the change in speed limit signs

I had stupidly allowed my speed to creep up to 80mph as I was late for a shift change, and my dog had been in the vehicle longer than ususl, I am a security dog handler.

Obviously I should plead guilty, is it better to attend court, smartly dressed showing remorse and apologise, or plead guilty by post and put it all down in writing?

thanks

Tom
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

The question of whether or not a defendant should attend court always depends on the facts of the case.

Certainly a defendant who attends well dressed, apologises and behaves respectfully XXXXX XXXXX a position of advantage compared to the absent defendant.

However, obviously some defendants attend and behave disrespectfully XXXXX XXXXX would have been better if they had stayed away.

If you fall into the former category then you are better to attend.

Actually your mitigation isn't bad. Quite a lot of what people want to raise doesn't amount to mitigation and actually sometimes aggravates the offence.

If you were doing 80 ish in a 50 mph zone then you are facing 6 points or a disqualification of between 7 - 56 days but realistically they are going to give you points. There isn't really any justification for an immediate ban here.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So to just clarify, you would recommend attending rather than a postal guilty plea
Well, it depends. If you are going to present well then you should attend.

Its certainly the type of case where it would make a difference. They have discretion and its more likely to be exercised in your favour if you attend on time, well dressed and respectful etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou
No problem.

I don't think you need to worry about being disqualified in practice!

Please remember to rate my answer.
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JOMO1972’
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks and goodbye
No problem.

All the best.