Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

I attended Magistrates court today woefully ill prepared to

Customer Question

I attended Magistrates court today woefully ill prepared to answer a summons for not supplying drivers details in response to a speeding charge, I had completed the form when it arrived at my employers address but did not when it arrived at my home address> I did not respond as it was a bad month money wise plus I already have 6 points so I thought I would delay until the reminder then pay the fine. After not receiving a reminder I foolishly thought myself lucky and that it may have been overlooked until I received my court summons. On arrival at court expecting my initial response from my employers to be sufficient against the charge and expecting then to have 3 points issued against me for the original offence the magistrate said I was facing 6 points and a much higher fine for the more serious offence of not providing my details when requested in the latter correspondence to my home address. At this point the magistrate stated quite rightly I didnt realise the severity of the charge and I should plea not guilty, seek legal advice, attend trial late August. I have 6 points with 3 due to come off my licence in August but believe that it is the number of points totted up at the time of offence which would be a ban, what the hell do I do??
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Are you charged with speeding or failing to provide?