Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, I was travelling clockwise on the M25 between the M40 and

Hi, I was travelling clockwise on the M25 between the M40 and the M1 when the gantry signs were flashing 50 with a white or octagonal border there was also a message sign warning of animals in the road. I took them to be advisory signs as the majority of the taffic seemed to slow to about 60 but a few carried on at 70+. I reduced my speed and payed close attention to the road conditions watching for the animals but continued with the flow of traffic. I have searched the internet but have been unable to find anything that diffinativley explains whether the speed sign was an enforcable or advisory sign. The sign did not have a red circle border? I use the M25 frequently as I drive for my job so knowing the answer to this question is very important please help.

Many thanks Kevin.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Sorry if I'm missing the point but you meant the speed limit or the animal warning signs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The speed sign is the part I didn't understand?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. I just need ten minutes to dictate an answer is thats Ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'll wait
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.

You actually raise an extremely interesting point. In a nutshell, you are almost certainly describing advisory signs.

The 1st point to make is that the “speed limit", per se, is nothing at all to do with the roadside signs. The speed limits are set down by law.

The purpose of roadside signs is to warn the motorist of the speed limit.

Gantry signs, of the kind you describe, are advisory speed limits to allow for incidents, standing traffic, lane closures etc.

The ones that are enforceable are described with the red circle and they should have corresponding speed limits enacted by law.

That does not mean, however, that you cannot be prosecuted for something like driving without due care and attention if you exceeded an advisory speed limit. That charge is a bit of a all-encompassing one. That will not happen here realistically but in academic law it could.

However if this is a gantry sign other than with the red circle then you will not commit the offence of speeding if you exceed that limit but stay within the national limits.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.