david northrop
david northrop, Solicitor
Experience:  I have over 25 years experience of litigation law including road traffic law
12609314

I was sacked from work because according to them, i have stolen

I was sacked from work because according to them, i have stolen the laptop. To prove this they do not have any prove that i have stolen it. i took it to employment tribunal i have a hearing date for this case soon. i do not know what to do? i have some document to attach, It Can be easily explain to you like what happen into my disciplinary meeting and all that. so if you can tell me how can i attach them so you can see.
thanks.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  david northrop replied 1 year ago.

The level of proof required in employment law is the level in civil law which is on the "balance of probabilities" rather than the criminal level of "beyond all reasonable doubt"

As such the tribunal will look to see whether the employer's belief was reasonable rather than for conclusive evidence.

I hope this explains the position. If there are any further points please reply.

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the guy whom belongs to the laptop he got deported. he send them email saying its belong to him and the guy who use to leave with him said yes its belong to him. and i said them he left his all belonging to this house like passport, clothes and so on.

Dear Zeeshan

It does not seem clear to me even on the balance of probabilities that you stole his computer, it looks like he just abandoned it.

Yours sincerely

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically, i have been working for airline and laptop was lost
in plan from one of our (BMI) airline passenger, and its been found from my house after more than 1 year. as i have been asked by police have u ever used this laptop and that's how i took them there where the laptop was.
And,I asked him he said he took this laptop from open market.
i explained it to work manager but they dint believe it.and sacked me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me tell you the full story,I have been working for BMI airline for five year.There was a laptop which was lost in plan by one of our (BMI) airline passenger at 28th of April 2011, and its been found from my house at July/2012. As i have been asked by police, Have u ever used this laptop and that's how i took them there where the laptop was.My work asked me how did this laptop found to your house? I told them, that this laptop was belong to fahad riaz who use to share a house with us but now he got deported and left his all belonging to my house he left:*his Posport*his clothes*his bank cards*his driving licence*his laptop*and so on.I got the statement from the guy who used to share his roam with him stating that it is belong to him.fahad riaz send them email as well sating that it is belong to him and took it from Sunday market.but they did not trust on me and they sacked me.I took this matter in employment tribunal court and I got a hearing for this at 31 of jun 2013.i do not know what to do?can you give me some advise that what document should i take it?and how many chance do i have to win?They got no prove that I got this laptop. and they sacked me that i stole a laptop not on the basis of doubt.i have got criminal case aswell which is in court and they charged me on the police station for handling stolen good. i got a hearing for it on 29th of july 2013

The fact that the laptop was lost on a flight whilst you were working for the company and then was found at your house is enough circumstantial evidence for an employer to dismiss.In this situation you would have to come up with a very convincing explanation as to how it could have got there any other way.If Fahad had also worked for BMI then it could have been him who took it.

Yours sincerely

Michael

david northrop, Solicitor
Experience: I have over 25 years experience of litigation law including road traffic law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you think i should say in the court?
with these prove
1: Fahad statement from pakistan (he admit it in the statement)
2: jamshaid (the guy who used to share a roam with him) statement.
3: His Pasport which proves he left his all belonging into this house including his laptop.

Because the hard drive of the computer can be checked and because computers have registration numbers the police are obviously sure this was the passenger's computer. Having a statement from someone else saying that it was their computer will not be enough because of that fact.To help you a statement will have to explain how your friend ended up with that passengers computer in their possession and it will have to be a believable explanation.Otherwise all the circumstantial evidence points to you.

Yours sincerely

Michael

david northrop, Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I totally agree with it. but he said it in his statement that he took it from open market 7 month ego. and the guy who used to live with him he has given a statement that it is his laptop and he is the one who brought it into my house when he came to live (zeeshan) my house.and there is an other statement from the guy who use to live with him before on an other property, he is his cousin and he is willing to give a statement as well that he was use to live with him and he saw this laptop with him.Basically, I have received a letter from BMI,s (my company)solicitors sating that your case is not strong enough to win so if you loose you will have to pay our fees which is £20,000. That's way, I want to ask you is it worth to go to the court with those prove or not?his passport, his driving licence, his post and his laptop proves that he left his all belonging to my house. and now he is in Pakistan. and I can get his deportation documents too to prove that he is in not in U.K+ I have 2 witness who says that its his laptop.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.