Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have periodically parked my car on a dead end road around

Customer Question

I have periodically parked my car on a dead end road around the corner from my house.The road is a small cul de sac where there are about ten houses.I have been careful not to cause an obstruction nor park in front of some ones house.There are no road signs at all on the road or signage ,except for the standard T sign.
Today two of the neighbours came out and asked me to move my car,going on to imply thst if it wasn't moved they would ny be at all surprised if the car got damaged.What are my rights viz ve parking and of course there implied threats?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

is this adopted road?

Or private land?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not think that is is a private road,there are no signs saying it is

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No, there don’t need to be though necessarily.

You need to get to the bottom of whether its private land or not. You can do that easily though by calling the council in the morning and ask if that stretch is maintained by them.

If it is then its public land. You are free to park anywhere on public land that does not either cause an obstruction or defies other prohibitions. If there are prohibitions there then they should be signed or they are void save for very limited exceptions that will not arise here.

If its private land though, then parking there without the owner’s consent is a trespass. Its hard to quantify the loss arising from it but its a trespass nonetheless. Of course, those complainers you met would need to prove they were the owners and realistically they are not going to sue you for trespass but thats the legal position in theory.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.