Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

HI ive just been informed by dvla that my driving license has

HI ive just been informed by dvla that my driving license has been revoked ??? what does that mean ?
i was invovled in a traffic accident aug 2008 ,which wasnt my fault by i was later informed i wasnt covered on my parents car insurance. we won compensation and our car was replaced etc. but then several months later i was told i was taken to court and had fines for not attending and to pay court fees etc ,but my friend who is a lawyer dealt with it and my fine etc was cancelled as i was out of the country and had no knowledge,of court hearing fines or anything wrong etc . (i work aboard and im often out of the country).
Yesterday flew back into uk ,tried to hire a car id booked online and was told by dvla licence was revoked.saw license was out of date 03-07-10 ,(Didnt know they went out of date until yesterday).so basically can i drive ,what do i have to do ,thx for your help steve

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

When did you pass your test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi yes passed approx 30yrs ago

Its impossible to tell here why your licence was revoked. There can be lots of reasons for revocation - failing to renew the licence, medical grounds etc.

It will not have had anything to do with the matter in 2008. Even if you were given 6 points you are were not a new driver so that should not have led to revocation. They could have disqualified you but that would have dropped off by now and its not revocation anyway.

Most likely this is just an administrative action of the DVLA. You just need to apply for your licence back. There is a fee but its simple enough to apply.

If the ground was medical though then that would change things but if it was medical you would be aware of it.

You cannot drive on a revoked licence. That is driving without a licence.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only other thing i can think of is in 2002 i gave my old paper licence in whilst working in spain to get a spanish licence , this i used till 2007 .I still have my pink licence and paper and ive never been asked for it or have any endorsements on it as far as im aware

Its probably not to do with any driving conviction. You would probably know about that.

It will be an administrative issue. You are supposed to renew them after 10 years which is what often catches people.

if thats all it is then its a simply matter of reapplying and paying the fee.