Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

hi im am a resident within n ireland , I have received a fixed

hi im am a resident within n ireland , I have received a fixed penalty notice of £60 and 3 penalty points on my licence, as I am a Uk driver of under 2 years at present i cannot afford to receive another 3 points , i would like to know why there are no courses in place for people who commit this offence, (ie the speed awareness course) surely it is discrimination towards a member of the public who has committed this offence as there are no suitable courses on offer for the drivers who have committed the offence in question
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

I am really sorry but this isn't discrimination. This is just enforcement of the law.

Speeding is an offence like any other. They are entitled to impose points and a fine.

You don't have a right to the speed awareness course. These diversionary courses are entirely within the discretion of the constabulary.

There is arguably unfairness in the fact that some constabularies offer them and not others but that is not prohibited discrimination.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

JOMO1972 surely therefore the law should be changed ... one rule for one person who has received a minor offence for speeding and a differnt rule for another ?

I am really sorry but I cannot agree.

Clearly its unfair in this instance but there are lots of other occasions when different policies and policing can be justified by different forces. Some things are more of an issue in some areas than others.