Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was stopped by a police officer stating I was speeding in

I was stopped by a police officer stating I was speeding in his opinion. (No camera evidence) he took my details and said he would be in touch , as he had someone who he had arrested in his car. I then received a notice of intent which states the fact I have been sent the notice (which was within 14 of alleged offence) does not mean i will be prosecuted. Nothing to sign etc just notice. Four months have passed and I have now received a court date regarding alleged incident! Help??? I was not speeding as the road i was driving along is about 600 yards long with several speed bumps an i have low profile car an also saw a couple of friends on that stretch that could vouch that. I am totally aghast as no evidence only his opinion and this out the blue. I am a driver for a living and worried. Advice please???
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just want advice on can this be?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Can what be exactly?

Can you ask a specific question? Otherwise I won't know what you want to know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What will happen at court? I did not speed, no camera evidence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can i be taken to court? Did you see my what had happened when i posted situation?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

There is no requirement for camera evidence in the UK. Speeding was always prosecuted before the GATSO device came along.

The officer will be saying that he travelled along side you or behind you at a similar speed and judged your speed by reference to his own speedometer.

You can contest that and argue that you were not speeding. However the practical reality, at the Magistrates Court, is that if it comes right down to a choice between your evidence and that of a police officer, the police officer will win unless he is absolutely entirely incredible.

On your specific point though, the evidence of an officer supported by the corroboration of his own speedmeter is a perfectly acceptable means of prosecuting a speeding offence. It was how it was done for literally decades before technology moved on.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.