Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.

Hello, I received a letter from the police saying that i have

Hello, I received a letter from the police saying that i have been caught on a speed camera going 40mph in a 30mph back in January. I Only got the letter the other day, in person by a police officer, asking if i was the driver and that they have pictures of my motor cycle doing this. I was aware that i had to get a letter 14 days after the incident and 20 odd days to reply after that. Should I fill out this letter and except what ever punishment may come or are they in the wrong for leaving it 2 months to contact me...?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Was the vehicle registered to you at your current address?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is...
Hi Lee

This is an odd situation. A notice of intended prosecution must be served within 14 days of the date of the incident. Failure to do this is a bar to prosecution. As the police have served the notice well outside the time limit you should return the blank document to the police with a covering letter simply saying you are not accepting the notice as it is time barred. There are some exceptions to the rule e.g. where the registered keeper details cannot be found, but as the vehicle has always been registered to you and you have not moved, this should not be an issue. Hopefully that will be the end of the matter.