Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am an NI driver who passed 2 weeks ago. I was caught speeding

I am an NI driver who passed 2 weeks ago. I was caught speeding last night and I am very worried about my licence getting taken off me if I get 6 penalty points. I was doing 51 in a 30. Was a very large quiet road in the docks area of Belfast. I am an accountant training for professional exams and need my car for work.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi can u tell me the typical amount of points I could get? If I get 6 I will be disqualified and so, I am hoping I will only receive 3.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

I am sorry but is bad news.

If you were doing 51 mph in a 30 mph zone then you are facing either 6 points or 7- 56 days disqualification. There's really no way around that. Those are the sentencing guidelines.

It is always possible to try to persuade a court not to follow the guidelines. They are not tramlines and there can be departure but its obviously unusual and thats the starting point.

There is mitigation in saying there was limited traffic upon the road in question and no vulnerable road users.

Unfortunately there is no exceptional hardship test for revocation though so your occupation will not be a consideration I'm afraid.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.