Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hello,My partner caused a car accident - nobody was injured

Customer Question

Hello, My partner caused a car accident - nobody was injured but he caused a damage on a bus shelter and was just above the drinking limit. He is being charged with drink driving and leaving the scene of an accident, although he didn't leave the scene, he just walked away of the car because he could smell something just after it happened and got scared the car could catch a fire. Anyway, he is going to court this Friday (April,12th) and thinks getting a solicitor is 'waste of money' (although I strongly disagree with him), and I'm really scared whether he can actually end up in a prison. Could you kindly advise what charges he could get if he's found guilty? Is it ok for him to go without a solicitor or is he going to make it just worse? What would you suggest to do, say in a court?

PS: He is foreign (so am I), but apparently an interpreter should be present and we live in Corby, Northamptonshire UK. He never had any problems with the law or a police. Many thanks.

Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is he pleading guilty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure, probably not guilty or shall he plead guilty?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, what is his defence?

Does he deny these allegations?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just called him and he said he is pleading guilty in terms of the drink driving but about about leaving the scene, he is going to say he was in a shock a thought the car was going to catch a fire, so he and his mates walked towards his friends house that is close to were the accident happened.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If he does that they will vacate his guilty plea and set it down for trial. He would be raising a defence if he said that.

Actually the Crown might take a plea to drink driving alone and drop the failing to stop and report although its always better negotiated by a solicitor than a defendant.

If he was just over the legal limit then he is facing a fine and a ban of 12 - 16 months. The fact of the accident is an aggravating feature as will be leaving the scene but if this is a reading of only just over it still falls into the fine category. They may ban him for longer to reflect it though.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, many thanks for the answer - I did rate you answer.

And yes, please if you could give us more information that would be much appreciated. From your personal opinion, what would you suggest to do please?

Also, can he actually end up in prison for leaving the scene?

Thank you.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much, that calmed me down a little.

Thanks for all the answers! Bye

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.

All the best.