Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd

I have received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd re parking charge in a Asda Store 8/12/12 they now say the fine is £120. I was advised not to pay but as they keep sending new letters I am starting to get worried (I know that is the idea) should I cut my losses and pay up or hold tight and hope they do not take me to court. I have not contacted them but I did over stay the time although I did not see any time restrictions at the time but have seen them since. I did shop in the store that day but not sure if I still have the receipt. I understand the government made new legistration last October so will this affect me. I would appreciate your advice.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Just to be clear, this fine was actually issued on the 8 December?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it was issued for 8/12/12. I had the original parking notice, then a follow up letter now on Saturday the Debt Recovery Plus Ltd letter saying unless full payment is made they may pass on the matter to the landlords solicitor to commence County Court proceedings

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It used to be very easy to escape these things by refusing to name the driver. However, from the 5 th October 2012 the Protection of Freedoms Act applies and that makes the registered keeper liable if he does not disclose the detail of the driver within 28 days.

You can still defence this though by asking them to prove that their signs were sufficient and also the sum of their loss.

Actually its very unlikely that they would sue you and even if they did they would only get the sum of the fine plus a small amount in costs.

If the fine was issud on in only December though then I’m afraid they are not out of itme.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your help I will tick your box for payment but it must be a one off not taken out monthly, as a matter of interest when will the fine run out of date. Now I have seen the signs they are quite noticeable but did not notice them originally do you think I should ignore the letters.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends how much risk you want to take.

Personally I would never pay these fines. I've had hundreds of them and never paid one yet. They have yet to sue me.

They will send you some very nasty letters though.

Customer services can help with your subscription account.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I speak to customer services?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I never have contact with them I think you can email them atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

I can send a request to them to look at this post for you as well.

Please remember to rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please send a request for me,thanks