How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 69160
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In september last year I was caught doing 102mph on the m6

Customer Question

In september last year I was caught doing 102mph on the m6 north going from my house (warrington) to work (preston) The officer (on his own)aparently followed me for 3.2km (why km I don’t know) and on the summons its says is was doing "102mph to ??" hes actually wrote question marks and crossed out the part that says "using the VASCAR system" he also wrote this report on the 6th of march, the offence was 26th september, nearly 6 months ago.

I was going to just go to court on my own with a statement about how I would need the car to get to work and Id loose my job without a license as its req in my job in a transport office, id only had car a couple of days and speedos only in kph as its left hand drive etc, and hope for 6 points and a fine, theres nothing else ontoward on my license.

so baically do I just bite the bullet and turn up in court on my own and nearly have a panic attack trying to get out some rubbish statement I've prepared or do I get a lawyer to try get the case thrown out on lack of evidence which will cost me between 1 and 2 thousand pound?? which could end up with me getting a ban, a big fine and still being left with 2G court costs.

The first action sounds the most sensible but I'm dreading court. Cant decide what to do.

im pretty sure I had a clean license now….pretty sure the 3 points for a sp30 went off a year or 2 ago. that’s all ive ever had on it.

i don’t use my hgv license at the moment (just to get 30 miles to wrk at 6am)but get transferred (tuped) to another firm in june were it will be required (cant really provide any proof that a license is req at wrk except my job title)and I will probably be made redundant then if not sooner so are currently applying for jobs were a license is required, I really cant afford a ban, even if its for a week because I cant have that banned code on my paper license for 3 or 4 years, that s a big no no in road haulage.

and 2grand is quite a lot of money to me…in fact 1 grand is!
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well I just need advice on what road to take, from a solicitor that isnt trying to get my business like the one i called this afternoon who ive mentioned I go to court next week with a rubbish statement ive managed to put together myself and hope for the best or go down the expensive lack of evidence route?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Were you speeding?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI jo,,yes, most definitely, cant be sure how fast I was actually going though, like I said the officer says in the summons "102mph to ??" and he told me in the police car I was doing 102mph, my speedo in my car is only in kph and I cant remember what kph I was doing, I had only had the car a few days and was struggling keeping a constant speed without cruise control, i guess I must have just put my foot on the floor, that must have been the cars top speed, its only a 10 year old 1.7 deisel.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Do you know what point the solicitors intend taking? What are they saying they are going to do for this sum?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay first of all they say I wont have to go to court next Tuesday as they will get a adjournment in order to request what evidence the court has, when they see what the evidence is they will then try get the case thrown out on lack of evidence, thats what there charging 995 for,but then if that dosnt work and it goes back to court to trial they want another 995 to represent me on the day and hopefully come to some sort of agreement with the court, like the court and the solicitors agree an outcome I am happy with (not getting banned).


I told them money is an issue so they said they could take 200 of me (which is there hourly rate) and they could go request the evidence, and once myself and they had seen the evidence I could decide then whether to pay the rest of the 995 (775) and they would then take it forward to try get it thrown out, if that didn't work they would want ANOTHER 995 to go back to court.


If i didn't take it forward after seeing the evidence i suppose id just go back and plead guilty and hope they wouldn't use the request of evidence against me, Ive heard a lot of stories of people getting solicitors and coming off much much worse if the case doesn't get dropped, you have all the solicitor costs and then a doubly harsh penalty of the courts for messing them about, I suppose the big factor in in this is do they have any real evidence? and if they do will requesting the evidence before pleading guilty go against me?


thats what I got from a rushed 20min phone conversation this lunchtime anyway, I might have got some of what they told me wrong but it seemed to make sense at the time, this is the first and only lawyer Ive contacted so far.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

I see whats happened. They have just given you a rough figure.

The first point to make is that you will find a barrister under public access much cheaper than a solicitor. A junior tenant will probably do the whole trial for you for about £500 plus VAT and a plea and mitigation for £300-£400 plus VAT.

Obviously I haven’t had sight of the evidence here so I cannot really tell you whether its a realistic expectation that the case will be thrown out. Sometimes road traffic cases are not fantastically prepared and CPS is generally disorganised. However, you can never rely on that.

It depends really how badly you want to escape a ban and how much you want to spend on it. If money were not object then the right thing to do would be to plead not guilty and invite the Crown to prove their case in the hope they cannot. That might not succeed though.

If this is 102 on the M6 then you are facing 6 points or a short disqualification of between 7 - 56 days. Realistically, unless this was an area close to the toll booths or something similar to that, you are going to get points not an immediate ban.

Unless you have another 6 points in the last three years you are not at risk of disqualification for totting.

If the only issue here is avoiding a ban then probably you are not at risk of that anyway. There is a chance that you might meet a court that completely takes leave of its senses and bans you. In fairness, you never really know what will happen at the Magistrates Court. But thats not likely and representation can do nothing about it even if you do meet with an unreasonable tribunal.

If you feel more confident with representation then get a barrister under public access to do the mitigation for you. It will be about a fraction of the price that you’ve been quoted.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice