Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hi, I took out my insurance July 2012, in November of that

I took out my insurance July 2012, in November of that year I got 3 points for speeding (SP30). I stupidly forgot to inform my insurance and yesterday was involved in accident. The other driver as admitted liabilty as they pulled out in front of me.

My insurance company has put me in touch with a care hire company and care repair company and said these companies would recover the monies directly from the other drivers insurance.

I'm just worried about these 3 points I have. The car hire company have said I need to show both parts of my drivers license. I'm unsure as what to do for the best. Do I notify my insurance company about my points? or will this affect my current claim?

Any advice would be greatly received.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

How many points do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3 points (SP30) Obtained 5 months after I took out my insurance

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Whats the value of the claim roughly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know yet the vehicle hasn't been assessed. The repairers will recover the monies directly from the other drivers insurance company as they have admitted full liability.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The plain fact is though that your insurers could use this as an excuse to dishonour the claim.

Come what may, its a relevant non disclosure.

From my experience, the higher the value of the claim the more likely that they will.

If this is a collision only accident giving rise to limited costs then probably they would not dishonour the whole claim. Its to be hoped that they will just recalculate the cost of your insurance and ask you to pay the difference. That would be their common response.

you do need to disclose this. They will ultimately find it and then they will take the view that you were being dishonest. If you tell them in advance its much more likely they would be lenient.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Ok but the claim is really out of my insurers hands as the repairers have taken over and they will contact the other drivers insurance not mine and recover money from them not my insurance, No claim is going against my insurance. So how could the claim be dishonoured when my insurance isn't being claimed against?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No but they can stop administrating it.

I presume you have reported this accident to them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have reported it to them and they have arranged for the repairer and the car hire which is all in place and going through the motions.

I am collecting the hire car in a few hours

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they could use this an excuse to dishonour the claim but if you tell them about it they almost certainly would not.

They will just recalculate the difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO1972

So you think I should inform my insurance company now and that they will continue my insurance and not cause any trouble for getting my car repaired?

If did tell them would they pass that info on to the other drivers insurance company who is paying for the repairs?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is obviously a risk that they could do that but its not likely.

In any event, its your only chance because they will almost certainly find this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Took you advice, you were right.

In fact they were not bothered really, doesn't affect current claim and the points made no difference to my premium.

Very relieved thank you for your advice

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.

Glad it worked out.

Its pretty rare they dishonour really if its just points and everything else is truthful.

Please remember to rate my answer.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.