Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hi, I have two questions; First one is about speeding; I

Customer Question

Hi, I have two questions;

First one is about speeding;
I just caught for speeding (doing 53 in 30mph area) and police pulled my off. They filled a form and said that they will send it to police station for decision. I am very scared to go to court. I would be more happy if you can help me what might happen now? Is it possible to have a fix penalty and points without going to a court?

Next question is;
I was involved in a car accident 3 weeks ago, someone bumped the car behind me and that car hit me. Couple of days ago I got a letter from police asking me to fill a questionnare. Do I have to fill it?

Thanks for your help
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

Do you have any other points?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I dont have any other points and I am also driving with a foreigner licence (turkish)

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy to help with the first question but you will need to ask another question to pursue the second as it seems unrelated. Also, there might be civil issues which is not my area.

How long have you been driving on the Turkish licence in the UK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your answer. I am happy if you can help me with my first question.

I've been driving with my turkish licence for 8 months now. I guess I need to take an exam to obtain UK licence in coming months.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, thats fine. You are still in time to drive on the Turkish licence so no issues will arise from that per se.

If you were doing 53 mph in a 30 mph zone then I'm afraid the fixed penalty is not likely to be offered. The issue for sentence is miles per hour over the speed limit. Normally if you are doing more than 40 mph in a 30 mph zone the fixed penalty is not appropriate. That said, they can do it sometimes when it suits them but not often.

Similarly for speeds at this level the awareness course is not normally offered. They don't have to offer the awareness course at all. its a matter of their discretion. This is nearly 50 % over the limit I'm afraid so its not likely.

You are at risk of either 6 points or a short disqualification of between 7 - 56 days and a financial penalty. Realistically you are going to get points though. Its not serious enough for an immediate ban.

The best hope you have is that they will forget to summons you which does sometimes happen.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answer, so there is a hope that they can forget to summons. Do you have an idea when they can inform me about the decision? and what might be the financial penalty?

Thanks

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They have to summons within 6 months of the offence.

Probably a fine in the low hundreds, £85 in costs and the victim surcharge of £15.

Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your help

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. All the best.