Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

EU driving licences vs EU driving licences I have got polish

EU driving licences vs EU driving licences

I have got polish driving license and I have moved to UK in 2005. Is it still legal for me to drive in UK? I drive my employer's Motability vehicle and my employer told me that Motability says that I cannot drive it until I change my driving license into british one. On the DVLA website I found the information that the holder of a driving license can use EU licence for 3 years after becoming a resident of this country, which I did not realize. I have passed that time long time ago. What is the way forward for me? Is it still possible for me to exchange it or would I have to pass british driving test now?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

You should not be driving upon that licence now but you can exchange it very easily. Your polish licence is still eligible for exchange. There is a charge but you don't need to do anything else.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would I have to pay a fine for such late exchange or just the usual fee?

Thank you for this information. I am just on my way back from court and will get back to you as soon as I arrive. Thank you for your patience.
Sorry for the delay.

No, there is no fine for late exchange.

If you are caught driving you will be prosecuted for driving not in accordance with a licence but there is no obligation to exchange otherwise.

If you choose never to exchange then thats perfectly lawful. You can exchange when you like.

The offence lies in driving whilst you have no up to date licence.