Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Ive been told I was caught doing 106mph on the M6 toll road

I've been told I was caught doing 106mph on the M6 toll road at about 12.40 lunchtime.

I've admitted it was me driver (as it was!) and returned the letter immediately which now coming up 12 days ago and heard nothing back!

I have no points on my license.

I'm aware a lapse of panick being late for a
Meeting isn't acceptable or right but I'm very worried I'll be banned and this will ruin my life!!

I have a lot on my shoulder with a very poorly wife who doesn't work due to having Bipolar and other complications, which require me to be on call if something bad happens and with no family nearby (nearest is 90miles away) and two young daughters to prioritise if something happens I need my car. Also I own a small business over 12 miles away which due to public transport would take 2-3 hours to get to and from, let alone support 3 staff. The very nature of my business requires me to travel to a client at a minutes request.

So... Is there a

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, from my info provided what are my option and if summoned should I/can I effective represent myself?!

Also do the courts have a time limit to summon me?

Help! I'm really worried!!
If you are stopped at the roadside then they would have issued a verbal NIP at scene so theres no need for them to issue a new one within 14 days.

They do have a time limit to summons you but its 6 months from the date of the offence.

If this remains a speeding matter then you won't get legal aid so you would either have to represent yourself or pay privately.

What is the speed limit at this location? Some parts of the M6 toll are as low as 40 mph and that would change the situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The limit was 70mph

So, based on the information what's the longest I could be banned and should I write a letter of mitigation regarding the serious/important reliance of my car??!

When I was sent the letter it did say they may give points and a fine??!

If you are doing 106 mph in a 70 mph zone then that is still a speeding matter rather than a dangerous driving one.

You are facing either 6 points or disqualification of between 7 - 56 days.

I would brace yourself for a short disqualification. You might escape with points but you will be lucky. You have to remember that there are people manning the M6 toll booths who are placed at risk by speeding motorists.

There's no exceptional hardship test for an immediate ban so it doesn't make much difference that you rely on your vehicle save for the fact that if they do ban you they can reduce the fine to reflect the fact that the ban will fall onerously upon you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that!!

I suppose taking the punishment on the chin is what the law is they for at the end of the day and lesson learned already!!!

So from what you've mentioned bringing up the reliance of my vehicle, the impact on a small business support 3 other wages, the shear impossibility of getting into work and then my serious personal situation should only be presented once charged/sentenced??!

Or should I prepare such material and hand it in prior ?

I've never been in trouble with the law, let alone stand in a court of law for any reason and I don't want to time things wrong or in appropriately!!
If they do summons you they will just send you a plea form with space to write out any mitigation. Just complete that part.

You may as well mention your reliance on the car. It will do no harm.

Generally though, its a matter of expressing remorse