Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I did a prohibited u turn although at the time I was unaware

I did a prohibited u turn although at the time I was unaware it was not allowed as it was dark and I had just turned of a main road into a side road to cross back over the main road where there was a no right turn on the dual carriageway. The thing is I entered a private residence and then backed out on to the road. I would not call that a u turn would I have a case here?
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

Have you had a fine?

Who is the issuer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I've just received a fine in the post from Hammersmith and Fulham council

So just to confirm, you did not perform a U turn in the sense of a sweeping motion ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I turned into a private entrance and then backed out on to the road

And the fine complains specifically of a U turn and not a prohibited right turn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just about a prohibited u turn

You do have a challenge then if the facts are as you say.

You will find this case assists you

http://keycases.parkingandtrafficappeals.gov.uk/index.php#search

A 'u turn' is a sweeping motion not several manoeuvres using the reverse and forwards gears.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have read through the key cases that you provided and one case is referring to the exact spot where I too was caught. In that case his appeal failed because the adjudicator decided that a three point turn does count as a u turn and even though we both used the same crossover into private property we were still on the pavement which is considered the road so the fine stands

At point 57 the decision to allow the appeal was upheld because they were not satisfied that such a manoeuvre was performed on that occasion.