Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I served a suspension for a drinking driving offence starting

I served a suspension for a drinking driving offence starting February 2011 and this expired in February 2012. I have been on a working assignment in Singapore for the last four years and informed the DVLA of this multiple times. I told them i did not receive my mail due to my location and specifically asked if they could contact me by e mail with any formal correspondence. I consented to a medical that was requested in February 2012 and made a trip to Scotland to attend this. Almost six months later they requested my medical records which were provided. I recently only received my mail from UK informing me that they then requested another medical in October, which I knew nothing of, and since then in January they revoked my license entirely. They have not contacted me other than by mail in this period. They are now telling me I need legal advice should i wish to contest this but i believe that period has even expired now. Could you advise on possible next steps as i require a car for work and have not been able to drive for the last 25 months now?
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

Are you still on a ban?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my ban finished February 2012. As I am based in Singapore it has proven impossible to get my licence back through DVLA because I havent been in the country. Technically I am not suspended but I have no valid licence.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Hi, my ban finished February 2012. As I am based in Singapore it has proven impossible to get my licence back through DVLA because I havent been in the country as explained in my question. Technically I am not suspended but I have no valid license as DVLA have not approved my application and have now revoked my licence entirely due to the reasons explained.

I think the DVLA have revoked your licence for medical reasons then. This is nothing really to do with the original ban.

You can ask them to reconsider their decision.

If that fails then you have a right of appeal from any decision of the DVLA to the local Magistrates Court.

Its one thing to have a right of appeal though and another to have a good chance of appeal. Unless you can produce evidence to the effect that you are safe to drive it would be a waste of time and money but you may be able to do that.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.