Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

The local council wants to move an existing bus stop from outside

The local council wants to move an existing bus stop from outside my neighbour's house to outside my house. I fear this will devalue my property and have a negative impact on my privacy. The bus stop has been where it is for many years. What rights to I have?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

have they advertised this intention?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received a letter from the county council yesterday saying that they are proposing to move the bus stop following a request from the parish council. The parish council would like it moved as there is pavement outside my property but no pavement outside my neighbour's, so I think it's a issue of safety. That said, it's a quiet country road so I don't think it's that dangerous as it is.

It may be.

In any event, they are inviting commentary from the local residents as they have to in order to make changes of that kind.

If you disapprove of the proposals then the place to start is to respond to that effect.

In fairness, if its your complaint alone then that will not probably prevent them proceeding with the move. Usually they need to receive a fairly large volume of complaints.

You can always appeal to the Ombudsman if the decision is adverse.

You do also have rights of judicial review although they are not really accessible ones.

Your local councillor should be a port of call as well.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks, that's pretty much what I figured.

No problem.

All the best.