Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hi, I have just been reading your response to a parking matter

Hi, I have just been reading your response to a parking matter regarding CP Plus at Poplar2000. Whereby they issue a parking ticket saying that you have over stayed the 2hr parking allowance. You say that they have no authority to ask for the drivers name, we are a haulage firm and obviously do know the drivers name. Does the law apply to us as well? Secondly there is a section saying there is a new law regarding parking on private land Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 which came into effect from 1st October 2012. Your response it dated 3rd October 2012 but the other lady would have received her ticket prior to 1st October. Does your answer still apply?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

What exactly would you like to know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry do I have to pay
This site is not a pro bono service I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Do i have to pay the parking fine. My driver did not see the 2hr sign. The parking fine is not issued by the police or the local council I thought you had access to the question I was referring to sorry
I see.

No, I don't but it doesn't matter. I know the issue you are raising.

I'm afraid the law has changed. It used to be very easy to escape these fines by refusing the details of the driver. Unfortunately, the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 came into force in October 2012 and it makes the registered keeper liable if he does not disclose the details of the driver within 28 days. It doesnt mean you cannot fight them on facts but its not longer safe to just ignore them.

In your specific circumstances, for fines issued after the 5th October the PFA will make you liable if you don't disclose details of the driver within 28 days.

Equally though, the liability is still only as good against you as it is against the driver. They still have to show the location was properly signed and prove the sum of their loss. But the driver point is now lost.

Sorry if thats bad news