Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been summon to court for driving 78mph in a 50mph zone

Customer Question

I have been summon to court for driving 78mph in a 50mph zone on the m8 motoroway in glasgow, I was issued at the time with a fixed penalty notice of 60pounds and 3 points, I was 1 day late in paying this and have now been summoned to court, can you advise what the court is likely to issue me with ?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.if this is 70 in a 50 zone then you are facing 4-6 points or 7-28 days disqualification

Obviously they will not disqualify

You are actually slightly out of the bracket for the fixed penalty but since it was offered to you what some courts will do is give you 3 points and a fine of £45 plus costs of £15 to deal with you as though you had received the fixed penalty

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply,

I was however doing 78mph in a 50mph does what you have said still apply ?,

I am going to pled quality by reply of the summons, what should include in my explation to try minamise the penalty or points given to me ?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I misread that. They may have withdrawn the fixed penalty anyway then.

You are facing 6 points or a disqualification of between 7-56 days. They won't disqualify

Probably though its not suitable for the fixed penalty disposal at court.

There is never really much mitigation for speeding. You just express remorse. In this case, you can always emphasise the shortness of any distance driven at speed, the absence of heavy traffic and clemency of weather although obviously you can only do that if its true,