Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I recently received a Fixed Penalty Notice from Thames Valley

I recently received a Fixed Penalty Notice from Thames Valley police concerning speeding that occurred back on the 19th October 2011. at the time I received a letter asking me to confirm who the driver was, which I returned on the 22nd October 2011. I had not heard anything, up until this notice which is dated 28/2/2012. Are the Police too late in forwarding this fixed notice to me, can I challange it?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Is your car registered at the DVLA at your present address?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Does the NIP say "Reminder' on it anywhere?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, I've just realised what you are asking. I should have seen it straight away.

I'm afraid they are in time but there is an option open to you.

The rules are only these. They must sent a NIP out to the registered keeper within 14 days of the original offence. They clearly did so. They must lay an information before the court within 6 months of the offence. They have not done so but they are still in time.

When the fixed penalty goes out is a non issue.

The only thing you may want to consider is though. If the offence was on 9th October then they have until 19th April to lay an informaton. They have only just sent out a fixed penalty offer and they have to give you 28 days to accept. That will take them until the end of March at the very least. That would leave only a very short period of time to lay an information. Of course, they may do it but if you wanted to take a risk its not likely that they would.

Hope this helps. Please press ACCEPT and then I will answer your follow up questions for free. Your quesiton will not close but thereafter I will give you related information at no extra cost.