UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007

I received a parking fine from APCOA, a private parking company

I received a parking fine from APCOA, a private parking company who operate the car parks on behalf of Luton airport for allegedly "pickingup/dropping off outside of a designated parking area". I repied giving them the following information:-

Prior to the 6/8/2011 I had never been to Luton Airport in my life. I was absolutely unclear as to where I should be going to find the drop off point to unload my two passengers and following my SATNAV.
I turned onto the drop off area mentioned in your letter in an attempt to turn around and find my way back to the proper drop off point and was immediately stopped by two officers in a police car and directed to the correct location. I proceeded to that location and dropped off my passengers accordingly.

They are now threatening me with legal action because I refuse to pay the fine that they have arbitrarily imposed. Currently £122. Can you advise me of my rights.

Thanks and regards, XXXXX

Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

They have no more right to charge you for parking than your neighbour does.

Legally the tickets are not enforceable. If they took it to Court they would have to prove:

1) You were the driver

2) They had a contract with you

3) You agreed to their terms and conditions

4) They suffered loss

They can not prove any of this. You should ignore everything you get from them.

You may also get system generated Solicitor letters - but you should ignore all of this.

The tickets are not enforceable.

Please remember to click accept so that I am credited for my time. Thank you.