How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 69661
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been caught speeding at 82 mph in 50 mph zone. What

Customer Question

I have been caught speeding at 82 mph in 50 mph zone. What is the likely outcome? Should i contest this? Should i just plead guilty?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

Were you speeding?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i probably was. yes... It was an unfamiliar road and had just gone from a dual carriageway to a single carriage way at 50.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

You cannot contest this on facts then. All you can do is either put them to proof or hope that they forget to summons you. The latter does sometimes happen. I can tell you how to do that. You may as well in this case because they are not going to give you a conditional offer.

If you were going 80 mph in a 50 mph zone then you are facing either 6 points or a disqualification for 7-56 days.

Obviously the real punishment will depend on how many points you have already. If you collect more than 12 you are automatically disqualified for 6 months.

I'm happy to discuss this but please remember to click on accept.
Jo C. and other UK Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, i have 0 points on my license. I have been caught speeding once before. This was 48 in a 40 zone, i took up an offer of a Speed Awareness course. This was 2 and half years ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
They will probably just add 6 points then which will drop off after 3 years.

The could disqualify you but I don't think they would. You are right at the bottom of the sentencing bracket in terms of speed and if this is a dual carriageway then there wouldn't have been too many vulnerable road users.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do you put them to proof like you mentioned?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do you go about putting htem to proof like you mentioned?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
That is very high risk.

You just refuse to plead guilty and ask that they prove everything. The chances are they probably can. The reason people do it is that there is always the possibility that the Crown will collapse under the weight of their cases and will drop theirs. Thats all very well if you need to drive and you are going to be disqualified and, in fact, the criminal justice system is so tied up with meditating domestic squabbles and neighbour dispute and other stuff that should be in the civil courts that it does sometimes happen that they forget to summons or attend unprepared for trial.

But if it goes against you then you will face a large costs order.

Related UK Traffic Law Questions