Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

is it illigal not to have middle name on driving licence

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does my middle name have to be on my licence as it is on my passport. it is not on my licence becouse i never liked using it. i used to get teased with it at shcool, so never liked using it

Is there any reason you think it has to be ?

What has caused this enquiry exactly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

just what people are saying when discussing licence information

You are perfectly entitled to have a licence without your middle name upon it if the only reason is that you do not like to use that name.

However, there is a very well known scam in this country in which I am sure you have no involvement. But there are some people who apply for two licences - one with their middle name and one without - in anticipation of disqualification upon one of those licences. In that way they think they can continue to drive on the other licence. That is unlawful.

If your intention is to avoid the operation of law by not using your middle name then you are not allowed to do that.

If its just that you don't like the name and you never use it and have nothing to hide then you are free to have a licence without it.

I'm happy to discuss this but please remember to click on accept.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you are right i am not intending to use it illigally. all other details on licence,dob, address, cross reference to other documents.

Thats fine then. You are free to refuse to use that name if you don't like it as long as you do so for an honest reason.