How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 68211
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can DVLA pass a penalty direct to a Debt Collection Agency

Customer Question

Can DVLA pass a 'penalty' direct to a Debt Collection Agency without going to a court of Law?
I sold my car on the 12th October 2010 to NS Cars of Misterton, Somerset. The suitably signed registration document was sent to DVLA in the same envelope as the registration for the vehicle I bought in part exchange. I received my new car registration within 10 days.
Shortly after this I received a notice for renewal of the road tax or SORN on 1st November. I telephoned DVLA in Swansea, as instructed in the notice, and was told to ignore the renewal as there is often a delay in issuing acknowledgement letters and if I hadn’t received one by Christmas then I should write, with the vehicle details, to them informing them of the change. This I did, and I subsequently received an acknowledgement letter from DVLA. At no time was I informed of any penalties for which I was liable. Later in January I received a Late Licensing Penalty notice for £80 from a DVLA Enforcement Officer in Poole. I have written frequent letters to them since and have received back letters threatening to pass the 'debt' to a Debt Collection Agency. I seem to have no recourse to a court of law or independent arbitration. The vehicle was officially scrapped in January.
As, on 1/11/10, I was not in possession of the vehicle or its registration documentation I could not have completed the tax renewal or SORN without making a false declaration as to the use of the vehicle.
I now have until 1/5/11 to pay or else!
Who else do I turn to, the CAB don't want to know and recommended that I engage a solicitor - which will cost me more than the fine.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
What exactly would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What happens on 1st May if I have'nt paid the penalty, can a DCA removed items from my property?

Can I not take DVLA to court?

I seem to have no right of appeal or recourse to a court of law.

I do not intend to pay.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

If this is just a debt collection agency then they cannot take any other action than to write to you or phone you. They do not have a CCJ or other order of the Court and so cannot remove your property. Nothing will happen on that date if the facts are as you say save for the further chasing of the debt.

There is no specific right of appeal arising from a fine from the DVLA save for, of course, judicial review.

But if you are saying that the car was not yours to SORN at that time then its usually a simple matter of writing to them to that effect and sending in supporting evidence. Do not negotiate with the debt collection agency. They will just be instructed to chase the debt. Go straight to the DVLA.

Although judicial review would cost more than the fine if the facts are as you say then you would seem to have grounds though but they would need to pursue this first.

I'm happy to discuss this but please remember to click on accept.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 68211
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and other UK Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If DVLA seek a CCJ will I be informed and can I attend the hearing and speak in my defence?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying £3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Buachaill



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H


    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm.