Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, I got a SP30 fixed penalty for doing 38mph in a 30zone,

Hi, I got a SP30 fixed penalty for doing 38mph in a 30zone, I couldn't find my paper license to send off so wrote to the dept who issued it explaining that it would take 3 weeks to get a
new license and could i have an extension on the FPN offer. They replied and said no it was
too late and the offer had expired so I will have to go to court. I pleaded guilty without
attending to find I have recieved the points which I except but I have also been fined £260
plus the £60 court costs. I think this is way too excessive and want to know what my
chances of getting it reduced in appeal are.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Were you informed of these costs in advance?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I accepted the £45 costs in the guilty plea, I have no problem with that, it't the £260 fine for what is just an SP30 I find hard to stomach.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 years ago.
My colleague asked me to look at this as Im a traffic specialist.

You do have a right to appeal to the Crown Court within 28 days of sentence.

However, the practical reality is that its very unlikely to be considered excessive and reduced.

I imagine this was a band B fine as that would be the appropriate sentence. The starting point is 100% of your weekly income and the range is 75% - 125% of your relevant weekly income.

If you were only fined £260 then you are not going to get that reduced on appeal Im afraid.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.