taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have just receveid a corproation tax demand 4 years after

Customer Question

I have just receveid a corproation tax demand 4 years after the buisness stopped trading, can I challenge this and avoid paying? I no longer have access to historic bank accounts or records as I have long sinced moved on and been fully emplyed for 3.5 years.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your question..

What year does the corporation tax relate to?

Do you still have your company active was has it been struck off?

many thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
on the back of the lette it refers to 2011, 2012 & penalty charges up unitl 2015, this letter only arrived yesterday and no correspondnat in the 3 years I have been at my current location.I have checked companies house and it is still there the records show:-Company status, Active — Active proposal to strike offit should have been closed years ago by former accountants and i have never checked.

Thank you for your reply...

One main reason why the company is not struck off is that HMRC has raised an objection because of outstanding corporation tax.

Your course of action is

- to establish when you ceased business and reconstruct your accounts from what ever records you have.You can always ask the bank to provide you with copies of the bank statements provided the bank account is not closed.

- appeal against the corporation tax and penalties in the meantime

- contact former accountants and ascertain last set of accounts they produced for you and why your instructions to close the company were not carried out by them. You may have recourse against them if they are negligent.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.