Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am uk non domiciled resident at present in Dubai. I have

I am uk non domiciled resident at present in Dubai. I have been non resident for uk tax purposes for the years 2006/07 2007/08 and 2008/09. I have been on remittance basis for the years 2009/10 2010/11 2011/12 2012/13 2013/14 but on arising basis for 2014/15. For 2015/16 I was non resident for uk tax purposes and I could be non resident for 2016/17 if I wish. Thus I will be non resident for five tax years out of last tax years. My question is can I pay tax on remittance basis from 2017/18 under new rules possibly coming into effect from tax year 2017/18. I mean can I start the clock again on 7 out of 9 years to pay tax on remittance basis.

Hi

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

If you are UK born and bred and have spent time in the UK thereby being treated as resident for 2009/2010 through to 2013/2014 then you cannot claim remittance basis, this is reserved solely for those that are not UK born and those that do not plan to stay in the UK

So can you first clarify that you are not of UK citizenship - before I proceed further

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am uk passport holder but non born in Uk. I was born outside uk.

Hi

If you are a UK passport holder, then you must have applied for UK citizenship, and from that date you cannot claim remittance as this is reserved for true ongoing non domicile individuals - so may I ask from when you became eligible for UK passport?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have always been a uk passport holder because I was born Uganda in colonial times
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have always been a uk passport holder because my birth in a uk colony

Hi

Then I am afraid you should be treated as a UK resident for UK tax purposes and can only have your UK tax considered on the arising basis - and have no claim to the remittance basis. So for any of those years that you claimed remittance - you need to amend these self assessment tax returns and make a worldwide income declaration and pay any back tax due.

AS old colonial jurisdictions see you treated as under British sovereignty

This being the case - then mutes your original question as you are resident for Uk tax porposes UNLESS you are physically NOT resident due to not spending more than 91 days in the Uk in any one tax year.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for answer . No more questions.

Hi

Thanks for your response

Please do let me know if I can assist further.

Thanks