bigduckontax, Accountant

I am completing my self assessment and have income from both

Customer Question

I am completing my self assessment and have income from both PAYE and CIS status - PAYE Income 7310.43 and tax paid £605 - CIS income 15975 and deductions paid £3195.00. Giving me a total of earned income of 23285.43 and tax paid of £3,800 - my self assessment says I am due a refund of £447.00 is that correct.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: PAYE employment ran from April through to end of July and CIS employment began on 01/08/2015 and ran through to 05/04/2016
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

I do not agree with the self assessment computation. You have an income of 15975 + 7310 = 23285. Tax deducted was 605 + 3195 = 3800. From 23285 deduct your personal allowance of 10600 leaves 12685 of income taxable at 20%. Thus your tax bill is of the order of 2537. As you have paid 3800 then the refund would appear to be of the order of 1263 not 447. Unless you have entered some of the data in error then the computation appears out by some 816 quid. Needless to say it is inevitably in the revenue's favour. There will, of course, NI contributions to take into account which will skew my simplistic figures. It is possible that it is in that area where the discrepancy has occurred.

I do hope that I have shed some light on your conundrum.