Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

There Back ground 2007-2008 Enter Australia As student Pr in

Customer Question

Hi there
Back ground
2007-2008
Enter Australia
As student
Pr in feb 2010 citizen 2012
Purchest hse Australia with brother in 2012
Hse in uk
Rented out to friend from July 30 2007 until 28 March 2015 sold house april 2015 had lived in house from 2004 to 2007
Have done tax return in uk every year 2007 to 2015
I transferd the profit from uk to Australia and in 2015 tax return put it in my Australian tax return and paid capital gain hear have I done any thing wroug regarding the uk tax office and will I need to pay tax there ?
My wife is the same low income but she has never bought a hse in Australia
Please help
Andy and ***** *****e
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question

What date was the house sold in the UK and do you plan to return to the UK to live within the next 5 years?

Between 2007/2008 and the date now - how many days per tax year have you spent in the UK (Uk tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April)

Please advsie the information for both you and your wife

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi SamTenants move out 28 th March 2015
House sold on 23 April 2015
Don't plan on moving back to UK
Dates and days in UK from
31-12-2007 to 23-05-201628th dec 2011 till 7th February 2012 40 days1st November 2013 till 22 November 2013 23daysThis is for me and my wifeRegards
Andy and heather
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi Andy and Heather

Thanks for your response and the additional details

Then you will have a small capital gain consideration from 06/04/2015 to the date of sale 23/04/2015 due to the change of legislation of property sales in the UK and non resident sellers.

You should have notified HMRC of this sale within 30 days of the disposal so there may be a late fine arising and this will apply to each of you. (£100 each) However I imagine the actual increase in value for just 17 days is negligible

But you will need to get a post valuation as the value was at 06/04/2015 to establish whether a gain did arise -

I have added the link here that provides details of how you should proceed

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-for-non-residents-uk-residential-property

So report the disposal first then HMRC can send you details of the appropriate reference number - but I imagine you are already within self assessment as you had rental income to declare over the past few years.

Do let me know if I can assist further

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi SamSee the rent income all the years we did tax returns in the uk 2007-2015 there was all ways no tax to pay but we did make a small profit every year
Is this right ?And because it was going credit cards and not coming in to Australia
We never declared it in Australia as a income from abroadSorry for all the questions as old accountant is no longer with us and a new one in the uk is helping us but feeling that we have done some thing wound
Kind regards
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thanks for your response -

As this is a new question re the rental income I can either

1) Send you an additional services request for a new question

OR

2) You can list this as a new question

This requirement is as per Just Answer policies I am afraid.

Do let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No 1
How much is cost for a other question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response

With you posting a new question you sent the price - and experts can choose whether they are willing to answer for the price offered

With the additional services I would set the price at what I feel is fair and you then choose to accept or not

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I accepted this as a new question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this what you wanted ?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi

As yet - this question has not been accepted - or rated which will ensure that Just Answer credit me for my time

Thanks