Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax

One of my clients has moved recently. Initially their

Customer Question

Hello One of my clients has moved recently. Initially their space was completely open plan. They had partitions installed, an alarm fitted as well electrical work and decorating. Can this be classed as leasehold improvements and depreciated over the term of the lease? What capital allowances can be claimed? Thanks
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Lease is 5 years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer. Can you advsie whether they own the property or are renting it? As you advsie there is a lease in place - please advsie further. Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a 5 year lease in place
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
Hi Thanks for your response Then this is all general work is claimed as day to day expenses - so partitions (which can be taken down/moved) alarms (which are security so general premises costs) and electrical work (too generalised to be capital allowances) and decorating (just general maintenance/enhancement to the working areas) so none of it is going to be classed as permanently structural - which it would be required to be so to qualify under the capital allowances and anything of that ilk would be costs the landlord funds in the main. Thanks Sam