How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15806
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in receipt of employment and support allowance and have

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I am in receipt of employment and support allowance and have been given a PPI repayment. I have paid nearly £1000 in tax, how do I reclaim this?
JA: Hi Pearl, I. The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: What do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Only that I believe that my income is below the threshold for paying income tax.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 11 months ago.


Only the interest is taxable, not the PPI repayment. If you think you should not pay tax for tax year during which the PPI refund was issued, complete a form R40, take a copy and send it to the tax office with supporting documentation which you should also retain copies of.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I get a form R40 please?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, question?
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 11 months ago.

You can simply print the pages from here.

Send the complete form to the address here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry to be a problem but I do not have a printer, is there an address I can write to or a phone number I can ring please?
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 11 months ago.

Call the number here for the R40.