bigduckontax, Accountant

I have been living and working here in Dubai since January

Customer Question

I have been living and working here in Dubai since January 2012. I was made redundant here last October and now have to move back to UK to find a job. I have savings here in the UAE which I want to transfer into my UK bank account. Will I have to pay UK tax on these earnings?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Nope not really
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Firstly, when you left the UK in 2012 did you fill in a Form P85 and send it to HMRC? If you did not you should do so immediately; fortunately there is no time limit as to its submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line.

After doing the P85 procedure you will be classified as non resident. On your return you advise HMRC of the position and they will re-classify you as resident for the tax year immediately following your date of return and, furthermore, split the return year into two portions, one non resident and the other resident.

You will not have to pay tax on the funds you propose to transfer, but if the sum is substantial you should warn your bank of the incoming funds and their source to head off any money laundering inquiries a large sum might attract.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.