bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

On a salary of £23,000 with personal allowance £11009 less

Customer Question

Hi on a salary of £23,000 with personal allowance £11009 less medical insurance £557 less debt restriction £14436 with £3983 added to wages tax code k398 giving me a tax free amount of £-3983. How much will I be taxed each month please. Thanks
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Telephoning you rejecting a recovery schedule is a typically sloppy approach by HMRC. However, it is clear that by altering your tax code the Department intends to recover the moneys through your wages. They are quite entitled to use this method and it does ease the pain of repayment. I suggest that your monthly deduction of tax from your wages will be of the order of GBP 450 a month.

Recovery of sums over 3K is usually demanded in immediate settlement.

I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does this mean that on top of the £450 they will take additional amounts also on an attachment of earnings?

It would appear not. That 450 I have calculated is from you revised tax coding. It seems unlikely that the Department will apply for a further attachment order for which they would need a Court Order.