Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Re: self assessment. How do you work out company fuel card

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** - re: self assessment. How do you work out company fuel card and business mileage for ones self assessment. Company fuel card amount comes from p116d, I work out my business mileage. Do I deduct the value of business mileage from the company fuel card amount.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Company fuel card - £3k Buiness mileage - £2,698
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes - how much longer?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

Do you use your own car for business travel. Can you tell me which P11D boxes have been completed please. How have you arrived at £2,698?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
own car.
Box m on the p11d - fuel card - cost to you £3,082.50.
Business mileage - total miles - 45p for the first 10,000 and 25p for the remainder
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Your method is correct. You are allowed to claim at the levels of 45p and 25p to cover the running costs and depreciation in value of your car due to business mileage.

You put the figure £3,083 in the matching box number 15 in the SA102 employment page E1 which you can see here and your claim figure £2,698 in box 17 on the same page.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just checking in to find out if you need further advice or clarification.