bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am in a mess with my tax and Nat Ins I have not paid any

Customer Question

Hi Sam I am in a mess with my tax and Nat Ins I have not paid any for about 20 yrs what can i do
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

There is but one thing to do and that is to throw yourself on the mercy of HMRC. Unfortunately mercy is in very short supply in that Department. You should write to your local tax office and state your net income for each tax year over the 20 years. HMRC will advise you of the tax due in each year which you must then pay. HMRC will charge you interest on unpaid tax and also impose penalties for failure to self assess. These charges could quite easily run into four figures although they may relent if no tax is actually due in some or all of the years. Limitation legislation does not apply to tax debts in England and Wales although there is a 20 year limit in Scotland.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.