How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3598
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a mess with my tax and Nat Ins I have not paid any

Customer Question

Hi Sam I am in a mess with my tax and Nat Ins I have not paid any for about 20 yrs what can i do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

There is but one thing to do and that is to throw yourself on the mercy of HMRC. Unfortunately mercy is in very short supply in that Department. You should write to your local tax office and state your net income for each tax year over the 20 years. HMRC will advise you of the tax due in each year which you must then pay. HMRC will charge you interest on unpaid tax and also impose penalties for failure to self assess. These charges could quite easily run into four figures although they may relent if no tax is actually due in some or all of the years. Limitation legislation does not apply to tax debts in England and Wales although there is a 20 year limit in Scotland.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.

Related UK Tax Questions