bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

The tax and vat visited my wifes company my wife is ill but

Customer Question

the tax and vat visited my wifes company my wife is ill but they are saying they want all types of stuff bank accounts slips and so on I cant help them but they said they will fine her if she doesn't send them she has had a nervous breakdown and is staying with relatives what can I do
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Stand firm; tell HMRC to take a running jump and advise them of your wife's condition and that the matter will be dealt with on her recovery and any fine they may impose will be most vigorously resisted. I recall one HMRC inspection of a company which had a lot of moneys derived from other companies in a group, effectively acting as a banker. This was explained to the Inspector who the started to add up all the money paid into the parent. I asked him what he thought he was doing and he told me that the aggregation of these figures would indicate the value of output tax payable. A few days later the company received a demand for about 2K of unpaid VAT which was the subject of an immediate appeal and a hurried withdrawal of the demand. HMRC try to put on pressure in the hope that the taxpayer will roll over and comply. A very sharp letter usually suffices as if they are so stupid as to go to Court on the matter their tactics of harassing and bullying a sick person will be exposed in open court.

Be polite, but firm and tell them that all supporting matters will be available on your wife's recovery. In the meantime keep the records in a safe and secure location.

I do hope that I have been able to show you a way forward in this matter.