Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

When earning a salary in the UK how do I only pay taxes in

Customer Question

When earning a salary in the UK how do I only pay taxes in Switzerland, after moving my permanent residence back there for the fiscal year 2015? I travel back and forth and since August I no longer have an address in the UK. But I still work in the UK and pass three days a week, most weeks, since August. Do I need to notify HRMC so that my fiscal year 2015 is ONLY paid in Switzerland?
Thanks
B
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Yes you do and you can do this by completing form P85 link here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-leaving-the-uk-getting-your-tax-right-p85

They can then review what time, if any is spent in the UkK and what work, if any, remains undertaken in the UK, and how often you will visit the UK, how long you plan to spend living and working in Switzerland - and how many ties you have in the UK

All of this enables HMRC to establish what they consider to be your residency status, which then subsequently enables them to see if they can allow the tax code NT (No Tax) status to be allocated against this continuing UK employment and if so, then they advise your employer to operate this tax position allowing your income to be paid free of UK tax (although national Insurance continues to be deducted for the first 52 weeks)

If they do not think you can be treated as not resident (based on the facts) then UK tax will continue to be due and deducted as it is now

Thanks