bigduckontax
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have beenddenied tax credit and working tax credit what can i do

Customer Question

i have beenddenied
tax credit and working tax credit what can i do
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question and for asking for me
Did they advise why your claim has been refused? How late did you send the requested paperwork.
Is this your first claim -
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not my first claim and the paperwork was sent 3 months late because i had until 21 of april to send or the requested documents
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi
And on what grounds have they refused your claim? And why were you late sending the paperwork requested?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they actually denied my request for a mandat8ory reconsideration and said there is no further rigth of appeal to her majesty court and tribunal service and that the reason of delay was not a special circumtances
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi
But on what grounds did they refuse your claim - it would not have been just because you were late with your documents
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was still waiting for my passport from the home office
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all they said is i sent my mandatory reconsideration late and that the reason of my delay was not treated as special circumtances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
are u there
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi
That would not result in a denied claim - they would have just put in on hold until the passport became available.
Why did the home office have your passport?
Have you been refused as you do not qualify under the rules of having UK citizen ship, or some other reason - please help me, so I can offer you the right advise
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son is 3 years and he is europeen and i derived my stay from him as his primary care
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before i was student visa and that is why i sent my passport to the home office to swap my status
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and i have 5 years stay
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I shall opt out, as you are not answering my questions - you would not have been denied tax credits just because you were late with requested papers -
I feel there is another reason, which you would have been advised of when the documents were first requested from you, as to why your claim was denied and possibly your late producing of those documents then further concerned the Tax credit office.
But unless you can tell me why this was, then I cannot offer you any accurate advise.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before then i was already receiving child credit and working tax credit but they stopped that i should all the documents i mentioned above before the 21 april 2015 i which i did not do until june
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the whole story
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to assist you with your problem. I endorse what Sam has told you so far. You say you were already in receipt of child tax credit and working tax but these were stopped by the Tax Credit Office (TCO). I know that the TCO is a very opaque office with which to deal, my own personal file with that organization is over 2 inches thick. Surely the TCO gave a reason why the credits were stopped? Remember, the award of tax credits is only an interim award [ie temporary] and is finalised at the end of the tax year by further submissions by you. If you did not render these then the credits would be automatically terminated. You may well have fallen foul of this procedure. I understand that you were late sending documents for a new application, but normally that would merely result in your claim being deferred. Have the TCO not explained why these credits have suddenly stopped and the new application not proceeded with? My advice is to write to the TCO asking why the original award was stopped and what has happened to your new application. I suspect that you have fallen foul of the end of the tax year confirmation process. I do hope that I have shed some light on your possible position.
If you have any other follow up questions please submit them.