How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13759
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a UK citizen and until recently I lived with my Czech

Customer Question

I am a UK citizen and until recently I lived with my Czech husband in the Czech Republic where I do not have permanent residency. Sadly my husband has died and I am going to sell the house and return to my family in the UK. Once sold the money for the house will be transferred to my UK bank account and used to purchase a "granny flat" near my family. Will I have to pay tax on this transferred money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
First I would like to offer my condolences on your loss.
If the sale of the property takes place within 18 months of it having ceased to be your home, then the sale of the property (and therefore the transfer of the money back to the UK) will have no UK tax consequence.
If, however the sale of the property is more than 18 months after you cease to use it as your home (Main residence) then there will be a capital gain consideration on the profits made (although tax relief will be due for the time it was your main residence) in which case you would need to advise HMRC of this sale.
Also it would be an idea to alert your bank of the monies when they are due to be transferred as any large sums do have to be overseen - so do pop in and have a word with them at the appropriate time.
Let me know if you require any further assistance.