How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3501
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, I have a query about living in France, but continuing

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a query about living in France, but continuing to work for my UK Limited company. I think this question may have been answered before but I just want to be sure.

I currently live in London with my wife who is a French citizen, I am South African. We also have a child who has a French passport.

I am a web developer & owner of my UK limited company, and have built up clients mainly in the UK. I am actually also a 25% owner of a 2nd UK web company, but at this point I pay myself into my other UK company and draw everything from there.

My wife and I always speak of living in France, but I would need to be sure that I can keep doing my work through my UK companies (for various reasons it wouldn't be an option to try and change these into French companies).

What would the best route for me with this setup in terms of how I pay myself, what are the limits, would I be taxed in the UK or France etc? I have an accountant that does all my UK accounts, and I know that I would continue to have to do all my P35's and tax returns in the UK. I understand that there is a double tax agreement between UK and France, but I just need to be sure of this.

My business is registered to my accountants address in London, but i am obviously able to physically do the work wherever I am with my laptop.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. As others have said in these threads, I'm not trying to avoid tax, I just want to know what the best route for me is considering I would need to keep working for my UK LTD companies.

Kind regards,

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

HMRC advise:

'Your residence position and how it affects tax

Income Tax

If you have left the UK to live or work full time abroad and are no longer UK resident, you might still be liable to pay tax on income from the UK.

The same rule applies if you have never been resident in the UK but have income in or from the UK.'

So, you will be liable to UK Income Tax as usual. However, the good news in that under the double taxation agreement between the UK and France the tax paid to HMRC is allowed against your French tax bill.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Keith, thanks for your reply. Do you know about how it works in terms of the income I'm able to receive in France? Would I just pay that into a personal bank account in France from my UK business account?


I read that there is a limit in what you can make in France before TAX becomes really high etc.


Kind regards

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
You are correct. I am not expert in French taxation, but note that rates can range from 45% to as high as 75%. Makes UK a tax haven, doesn't it! You can pay it as you suggest. I don't know the bank charges for payments from the UK to France. They may be prohibitive.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
I think you may have asked this question again. You already have an answer! Perhaps there is a bug in the system!

Related UK Tax Questions