Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax

I left the UK for New Zealand in Oct 2011 (with the intention

I left the UK for New Zealand in Oct 2011 (with the intention of it being permanent), but returned in March 2013 (which will be permanent). I rented my UK house out (as I couldn't sell) and included the income from this on my 2011/12 UK tax return. I am now doing my 2012/13 tax return. From what I have read, the short period I was overseas seems to mean I was 'temporarily non-resident'. I will be putting my UK rental income on my UK tax return again for 2012/13, but do I need to include the New Zealand income I earned and spent (and was taxed on) in 2012/13?

Thanks for your question

Yes, you need to declare the New Zealand income as well as all UK income as you will be treated as resident in the UK for tax purposes for the tax year 2012/2013, as you did not complete a full tax year abroad. (you may have spent more than 183 days not living in the UK, but as a UK citizen, to attain non UK residence, and subsequently non taxation on income earned abroad, you have to achieve at least one full tax year out of the UK which you did not )

Don't forget to also show the NZ tax suffered - as we have a double taxation agreement with New Zealand, and this will ensure you do not pay more tax then you need to.

Do feel free to ask any follow up questions, but it would be appreciated, if you could rate the level of service I have provided, as this ensures I am paid.