How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question

bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1098
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi:I have lived outside the UK since 2007, with the exception

Resolved Question:

Hi:I have lived outside the UK since 2007, with the exception of a period when I returned there from mid 09/2010 to 8/12/2010 - when I was unemployed and sought Jobseeker's Allowance and some Housing Benefit. I got a job in December 2010 in Singapore and relocated.Since 2004 HMRC have been chasing me for tax they believe on Self-Assessment from previous years I owed. My accountant retired and I lost all records. i know that I owed them far less than that as in the tax year 2003/4 my business had made a loss. I paid then £6,000 (of a claim of about £40,000) in 2006. I was told by another accountant that I should never have done this as it was a form of admission of liability. During the period late 2004 through much of 2007 I was seriously ill mentally and was not really looking after my affairs or my business. In 2007 I was receiving counselling from psychiatrists etc and pulled myself back together, but I chose to move to Denmark where I paid tax fully on my local earnings. HMRC tried to chase me through the Danish SKAT but they told HMRC to get lost. Unfortunately things went wrong in Denmark and my employer went bust. I then lost all my belongings and all records as I could not afford the storage bill after moving from my apartment. HMRC are still chasing me and the sum has mushroomed to £70,000. I did not fill in a tax return from 2004 until last year (£0 earned in UK; they accepted that). They know I am in Singapore and I am about to submit the return for 2012/13. Will they ever stop chasing me for the original amount and rising interest?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

In basic terms, no! Remember Benjamin Franklin's dictum that the only 2 certainties in life are death and taxes! As you have lost your records you have little alternative but to politely ask HMRC for a full breakdown of assessments year by year and then appeal these assessments if appropriate even though such appeals will effectively be out of time. I would be inclined to push your`inability to properly deal with your`tax affairs in a timely manner through illness from which you have now fortunately recovered. In my experience HMRC tend to be helpful to those who make a genuine effort, albeit late, to put their affairs in order. If you have over paid tax then it may well be taken into account. I recall one case where a colleague did 10 years of VAT returns one after another, the client having always just paid the VAT man's assessment, to rationalise the position and recovered the over payments!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Keith


Thank you for your response. I guess I knew that. How would you suggest I initiate the dialogue. I run a small business now in Singapore that is pretty short on cash so I don't want to make an offer I can't live up to. Should I 'ride it' until cashflow is better and make a settlement offer? Thing is I have no records from 2004 until I came to Singapore Dec 2010. It was a real mess

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Forget Singapore and the cash shortages there. Find out what HMRC are actually on about as I suggested and if their assessments are simply outrageous, which can happen, then, if you can, take them to task. Once the position is clear to your satisfaction then by all means make an offer providing you can keep up to the terms. With you overseas I can't see HMRC refusing a reasonable settlement. After all, with you outside the UK their recovery methods are somewhat restricted though they may well dun you at your ultimate port of entry! I am in the States at present and just going to bed. If you have further questions I will respond in the morning.

bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1098
bigduckontax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Last | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Andrew Baker(baktax)

    Personal Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    35+ years experience in income tax, CGT, non-residence
< Last | Next >
  • Andrew Baker(baktax)'s Avatar

    Andrew Baker(baktax)

    Personal Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    35+ years experience in income tax, CGT, non-residence
  • TEAP007's Avatar


    Tax Preparer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully Trained Inspector of Taxes / District Inspector/ Team Leader/ Offshore Consultant/ 41 years
  • berduchwal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified accountant and bookkeeper running my own practice since 2008.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Mrs-Tax's Avatar


    Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    Law Degree, 19 years in UK Tax.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Exposure to general tax issues
  • AnthonyL's Avatar


    Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    ATT, ATII, 12 years tax experience
Chat Now With An UK Tax Professional
322 Satisfied Customers