Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)

I am non-resident sportsperson receiving a lottery grant £17k

Customer Question

I am non-resident sportsperson receiving a lottery grant £17k plus dividend from UK company which I guess is "Disregarded income".
Do I have to nevertheless declare the dividend on SA100 (along with the £17k grant as other income) even though no tax is due.
I understand I will lose my personal allowance anyway?
Also I will be submitting a paper return whereas I know the authorised software versions automatically calculate that there is no additional liability.
Category: UK Tax
Expert: replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

The Inland Revenue will seek to tax your Lottery Award/Grant if they consider you to be a professional athlete otherwise there is no tax payable on the grant.

Non-resident individuals who are entitled to personal allowances from 6 Apr 2010 are covered in this HMRC manual RDRM10330 here

The first and most important thing to say is that when completing your tax return, you must declare all your income, including all the money you receive in your Lottery Award. You may wish to submit a copy of your Lottery Award letter with your tax return.

If you are filing a paper tax return the deadline for submission is 31 Oct 2013. HMRC will calculate your tax from the information provided on the tax return and you will receive a SA302 (Tax calculation summary) in due course.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My main concern is do I have to declare the dividend even though no further tax is due on it ?

Expert: replied 3 years ago.
John, thank you for your reply.

Dividends carry a notional tax of 10%. If you are a basic rate tax payer (taxable income up to £34,370 in tax year 2012-13), you will have no more tax to pay BUT Dividends have to be declared on the tax return.

Expert: replied 3 years ago.

Hello John

I notice you have viewed my response to your question on whether you have to declare the dividend even though no further tax is due on it (JACUSTOMER-svupu6cj- Last Viewed on 10/16/2013 at 8:21 AM).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.