taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Hi, I live in England. I own two houses. My main house is in

Hi, I live in England. I own two houses. My main house is in an urban area close to where I work and one in the country. I am now a widower and my daughter has recently left home so I find two houses are excessive. If I move to my second home and sell my urban house would I avoid paying Capital Gains Tax?

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

If you sell your urban home and provided it has been your main residence during the entire period of ownership, then any gain you make on sale would be covered by private residence relief.

Furthermore, the day you move to your second home and make it your main residence, all period then onwards would be covered by private residence relief on your second home.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Colin, you may wish to look at this helpsheet from HMRC on private residence relief - HS283.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs283.pdf