How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4857
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does someone in UK whose income is less than the personal allowance

This answer was rated:

Does someone in UK whose income is less than the personal allowance need to fill in tax return? When should they register for tax return - the year they start getting income or when the income exceeds the personal allowance?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

It depends on individual circumstances. Most common reasons for needing to fill in a tax return are:
you are self-employed - irrespective of your profit or loss;
you are a company director
you have income from savings, investment or property.

You should register for self assessment when you start getting an income and not when your income exceeds the personal allowance.

More information on "Do you need to complete a tax return" can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Hello Niraj

I notice you have viewed my response to your original question on need to fill in tax return if income is less than personal allowance (JACUSTOMER-3ba10ug2- Last Viewed on 10/2/2013 at 9:44 PM).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.